The springs were referred to in Roman writings as ‘Balnea Siluria’ (the baths of the Silurians) and in the 19th century as Ffynnon-llwyn y Gog, ‘the well in the cuckoo’s grove’).
Prompted by the discovery of the Saline and Sulphur springs in close proximity to the Chalybeate (iron rich) ‘spout’, the present Rock Park Pump Room was built around 1867. It fell into disuse and disrepair during the 1970’s and was restored through a joint venture involving Radnorshire District Council and the Wales’ Tourist Board in 1982/83.
The southern end of the ‘L’ shaped building is the Llandrindod Wells Spa Town Trust and Llandrindod Action Team Head quarters (who were responsible for the bringing together of information for this official website) and as it was historically the site of medicinal baths and treatment rooms the Lifestyles practitioners continue to operate from this facility offering a full range of complementary therapies. The old Pump room is now a modern conference facility (check the community website www.actionteam.org.uk for details)
Sulphur Springs – Eczema, skin diseases, bronchial ailments, gastritis, heartburn and diseases of the bladder and kidneys were all treated. Sufferers drank the waters and, it is said, taken in conjunction with the Saline waters could also be beneficial to those complaining of gout and rheumatism.
Saline Springs – Usually taken with the above. Magnesium Springs – Recommendations for the Magnesium springs were similar to those from the Sulphur but with the additional belief in its being beneficial to ‘diseases tubercular in nature’. To quote from the Llandrindod Wells Guide Book of 1897:- “…from two to six glasses should be taken before breakfast and perhaps another or more in the forenoon, but not later in the day. Each dose should be followed by active exercise…it is important that those who come secure experienced advice. Better stay at home that subject one’s organization to the careless use of these waters…”
Chalybeate (iron rich) Springs – This water was recommended for anemia and general debility at the turn of the century. The spring, situated at the side of the wooden bridge is free. To quote the Llandrindod Wells Guide Book of 1897:- “…This will be found a most useful tonic without any astringent properties. As to the therapeutic action of this spring, I can only say that it can be given with advantage in all those cases where a non-astringent and easily assimilated preparation of iron would be deemed advisable...drink immediately at the spring, the Chalybeate water does not keep well…”